Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Potential

I keep a framed picture similar to this one on my desk in my office. A gift from my sister, it sits next to my computer where I see it daily.

In the upper left-hand corner, superimposed over the image, are these words:

"Recognize and develop great people and great ideas...while they are still small."

Then one word captions the photo: "Potential."

Zechariah 4:10 states, "Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin" (NLT).

The image of a redwood sapling growing among mature, healthy giants, reminds me that we all begin as saplings with potential (we ourselves, our co-workers, our loved ones, those to whom and with whom we minister). We follow the giants who've gone before us; we lead potential giants coming behind. And God accomplishes the growth of us all.

Sometimes we miss the potential in those around us because we're too focused on the giants looming above. Or we're too impatient to recognize the value of solid, though small, beginnings.

God, give us grace to see the potential You have for us and for those around us. Help us to rejoice, as You rejoice, in seeing your work begin. Fill us with hope-filled eyes that see potential, and make us faithful to nurture growth in whatever saplings you've seen fit to plant in our paths.

'Til next time,
Joan

No comments: